Currently my co-workers consist of my wife and a 12-pound Russian poodle puppy named Sugar. They can be frustrating at times, but before I was an entrepreneur I had several regular 9-5 type jobs and interacting with my co-workers was a daily part of my responsibilities.
In the workplace we can find ourselves frustrated with those we work with because we all have different styles, beliefs, ideas, and opinions. Often, the biggest frustration comes when a stressful situation happens at work or is communication related.
One of the best things you can do when you are frustrated by your co-workers is to have them answer these two questions:
1) I handle difficult situations better if…
2) I communicate best when…
You might get responses like:
1) I handle difficult situations better if I can get out of the office for five minutes to clear my head.
2) I handle difficult situations better if the person I am working with says at least one thing nice about me.
3) I handle difficult situations better if I have a cup of coffee in my hand.
4) I communicate best when I have time to process information by myself.
5) I communicate best when it is over the phone.
6) I communicate best when the person tells me exactly how they feel.
You will be surprised at what your co-workers say. This will help you minimize frustration at work and to avoid misunderstandings in the future. Ask your team these two questions and see how much more enjoyable work can be! As always…